Friday, September 13, 2024

Dorothy Bowers, sighted!!

I've spent quite a bit of energy putting together the information I can on the novelist Dorothy Bowers (1902-1948). I have a listing of most of the information I've managed to track down in a biography with sourcing, as well as transcribed the only short story found so far - The Spy at Chateau Bas.

In my biographical post, I note that "I have found little biographical information on Dorothy’s life, and as far as I can ascertain, no photo of Dorothy is known to exist.

I've continued to search for answers to both where Dorothy's remains were interred (or what their fate was), and to seek out a photograph. FINALLY I've tracked down a poor quality photograph of Dorothy. It's a start. The photograph was taken around 1938, when Dorothy was 36 at the time of the publication of her first book. It makes me realize that the Hodder & Stoughton archives might hold a photo of Dorothy in their files.

Liverpool Daily Post - Wednesday 24 August 1938


Actually while I'm at it, I'm really pleased to now have both printings of 'The Bells at Old Bailey', both UK and US copies signed by Bowers, as well as the advance copy from the UK. Note that it was published as 'The Bells AT Old Bailey' in the UK, 'The Bells OF Old Bailey' in the US.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Dr Watson Jr Rediscovers The Mystery of The Century

I found this wonderful Sherlockian article published in the Daily Telegraph in 1939, reflecting back on The Hound of the Baskervilles and th...