Thursday, January 18, 2024

New articles published for January 2024

Last week was spent in New York at the 2024 Baker Street Irregulars 'weekend' which takes place annually to roughly coincide with a date designated as Sherlock's birthday (https://bakerstreetirregulars.com/2023/10/16/plans-2024-bsi-weekend). Last year I wrote a summary of the weekend that was published in the The Passengers' Log (https://221bcooee.blogspot.com/2023/06/bsi-weekend-review-2023-published-in.html). I might write up a short summary of the events I attended in the next week or so with some fun photos, but the 2023 article stands as an overview of the delights and friendship on offer. The BSI interactions certainly stimulated some ideas for me, and I'll have a few posts on the coming weeks!

This post is intended to highlight two new very different articles I've written that have been published in the past few weeks.


The Arthur Conan Doyle Plaque of Adelaide
Matthew D. Hall and Bill Barnes
in The Passengers' Log, 8th October 2023, Volume 27 No 1
Available from: Sydney Passengers membership/subscription

This article was written in collaboration with Bill Barnes, and was originally a blog post from my visit to Adelaide in July 2023: https://221bcooee.blogspot.com/2023/07/the-arthur-conan-doyle-plaque-in.html. Bill Barnes, the President (Captain) of the Sydney Passengers group provided a lot of the historical context from his archives, and also provided an update after checking with the Adelaide Sherlockians. The article evolved from the original blog post, but that's the purpose of the blog, to put together short posts and pieces that can ferment and evolve over time into something publishable (or... just remain a blog post in most cases!). At six and a half pages, this article is certainly longer than any article I ever imagined writing about a plaque, but it was while working with Bill that we realized that there isn't an article on the plaque published anywhere in the Pasengers' Log, so that provides a historical record for... errr... the record.

Membership in the Sydney Passengers includes a subscription to this wonderful journal (or log) three times a year: http://www.sherlock-holmes.au/Membership.html - I really recommend it!!



Seeking Relief in the Canon
Matthew D. Hall
in The Sherlock Holmes Review, 2023 Sherlockian Annual
Available from: wessexpress.com

This article is a little whimsical, but underneath it is a seriously written and researched. It is also the first Sherlockian article I ever wrote. As the Review is an annual publication, and as this was accepted in January 2023, I've been twiddling my thumbs excited for my first article to be published, even if it has been bypassed chronologically by other things I've written :)

The article addresses the total absence of toilets in the canon - not mentioned, not used, not located. The idea came as I reflected on the mundane aspects of everyday life that even Sherlock must conduct - and of course this includes going to the bathroom. I wasn't sure about the idea, but at the very first Sherlockian meeting I attended - the 2022 BSI Conference at Bear Mountain NY - I was encourage to start writing (see below). It took a few months to gather the references (i.e. buy the rare books to read the articles) to make sure I'd covered all bases. My article definitely takes a light-hearted view and identifies several moments in the canon where - when reading the correct way - we can catch our characters in the act. 

One quote from the article perhaps helps to set the stage and tone:

"Across fifty-six short stories and four novels in the canon I have been unable to identify any direct reference to the use of a toilet or chamber pot, nor any visit to an outhouse, for what we may coyly refer to as number 1s or number 2s. Furthermore, a survey of many illustrations of the canon (Mike Foye, ’Sherlock Holmes: A Study in Illustrations Volume II ; Nicholas Utechin, ’The Complete Paget Portfolio’ ; BSI Manuscript Series, 'G.K. Chesteron’s Sherlock Holmes’) revealed no toilet, outhouse, or chamber pot in any illustration."

Those who know me will not be shocked at the topic, but having selected the topic I assure you that I researched the topic throughly! The Review itself is a fantastic publication - and this one features Brett on the front cover and several articles celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Granada series on Holmes, so there may be quite a few eyes on my article once people get through the 'good stuff'.


One important part I do want to highlight is my acknowledgements section. Maria Fleischhack spent time with me at the 2022 BSI Conference encouraging me to 'just start writing'. I was genuinely overwhelmed by the content of that conference, and couldn't imagine how I could possibly come up with anything 'new'. Maria also proof-read the article and provided comments for me. Phil Bergem was an incredible help, finding and providing articles he and others had written, and brainstorming on how to make sure I'd read the material out there on the topic of toilets and bathrooms in the canon. 

And finally, at my very first ever Sherlockian IN PERSON gathering (because I went to a lot of Zoom meetings during COVID), I walked into the Bear Mountain Lodge for that 2022 BSI Conference very intimidated. Everyone knew everyone and I knew no-one. I registered and walked up to the bar thinking I'd sit on my own and have a beer to calm my nerves. I didn't make it to the bar as Jim Webb introduced himself to me, then introduced me to Walt Colby and Tom Brydges, and the three of them invited me to join them for dinner. I went from nerves to welcomed in an instant and we had a long dinner and chat. I now know that their hospitality is not uncommon among Sherlockians, but I'll never forget their kindness to me. It was wonderful to see Jim and Walt last week at the 2024 BSI meeting, and while I sighted Tom we didn't get a chance to chat.

For them, I added this acknowledgement to my very first Sherlockian article:







No comments:

Post a Comment

The first year of the blog - reviewed

Well, it's been ONE YEAR since the first post on my Sherlockian blog ( 221bcooee.blogspot.com/2023/05/hello.html ). At the time I knew i...