Thursday, May 25, 2023

Was H. Michael Neiditch was a Sherlockian?

I recently went to the wonderful Second Story Books (Rockville, www.secondstorybooks.com ) to lift my spirits and found this set of books I don’t need but that I thought looked nice. It’s a John Murray set published in varying years, and all appear to be purchased in 1973. 

To be honest it was the weird rooster cover that convinced me to buy it - that rooster always intrigued me. There is an excellent book "From Abbey to Wiles" by Nicholas Utechin investigating the artists who created the illustrations for John Murray (https://www.sherlock-holmes.org.uk/product/abbey-to-wiles/). Note also that this is a complete set despite missing 'A Study in Scarlet' - as the copyright was owned outright and separately, John Murray were not able to publish Doyle's first Sherlock Holmes novel.

Looking into this great set of books I'd found together, there were two clues about where this book set came from. First, the books were all purchased around August 1973 but not at same time - each had the date of purchase written in the front. Helpfully, one of the book inscriptions states that it  was purchased at Hatchard's, a book store in London. 

I assume by 1974 the books were in East Hampton NY with their owner, as there is a doctor’s receipt inserted in one of the books, for Michael H Neiditch. He appears to have studied at UPenn then Cambridge (68-71) so the timing is correct for a US to UK move. According to Linkedin worked in DC raising funds for the Weizmann Institute of Science, and passed away in 2021. I assume that this set of books came to Second Story Books as art of the estate.

Was H. Michael Neiditch was a Sherlockian? It appears not based on checking with local scions, but the books were clearly very well cared for almost 50 years by an owner who valued the stories. It's nice to make a personal connection through an incidental receipt slipped inside the book, perhaps as a bookmark.








No comments:

Post a Comment

The first year of the blog - reviewed

Well, it's been ONE YEAR since the first post on my Sherlockian blog ( 221bcooee.blogspot.com/2023/05/hello.html ). At the time I knew i...