Monday, August 7, 2023

Plans for articles on Wanderings of a Spiritualist

I have to be honest and write that REAL Sherlockian accomplishments - writing articles or given a talk - I find quite intimidating. In my day job, I do both easily, but the Sherlockian world is diverse, and I deeply enjoy the world of ACD without being an expert. As a way of dipping my toe in the waters, I've embraced the old adage "write about what you know about" (to butcher a phrase). What do I know about? Science, and Australia (separate topics - I don't know much about Australian science!).

One set of articles I'll be working on over a very long period of time is Doylean. In 1920 (and into 1921) Arthur Conan Doyle visited Australia to deliver speeches on spiritualism. I've picked a very niche and unexplored topic, creating a biography of each person ACD mentions in his book (in the order of their appearance). There are surprisingly few mentions, but also a little detective work to do. Each article will appear in the 'Passenger's Log' (the journal of the 'Sydney Passengers' scion). Join the Sydney Passengers to read the articles!

This topic is one reason I felt so lucky to be in Adelaide recently, where ACD started his Australian visit (https://221bcooee.blogspot.com/2023/07/the-arthur-conan-doyle-plaque-in.html).

The first article has been submitted, on Victor Cromer (born Victor Eugene Kroemer, 1883-1930), and the second is underway now.

To aid me, I have two copies of Wanderings. The first is a reasonable first US edition (well I believe it's first edition - 1921, George M Doran, NY), and the second is a reprint by Ronin Publishing (1988, Berkeley, CA). Ronin Publishing still operates (https://www.roninpub.com/), and produces 'books for independent minds'. As such, reprinting Wanderings appears to have aligned with the scope of Ronin Publishing.

Copies of Wanderings are easy to obtain. The book is out of copyright, and can be read freely at the ACD Encyclopedia (www.arthur-conan-doyle.com/index.php/The_Wanderings_of_a_Spiritualist), Project Gutenberg (www.gutenberg.org/files/39718/39718-h/39718-h.htm), and through common vendors such as Amazon or eBay one can purchase a print-on-demand copy cheaply, or a second hand copy for prices ranging from $20 to $5000. I recommend the affordable copies.

As I publish my series of biographies (over what should take many years), I'll post information at this blog. 

Left: Wanderings 1921 issue, and (right) the 1988 reprint.

Publication details (left) and (right) dedication of the Wanderings 1921 print.


Title page of 1921 Wanderings, with a facing spiritual and serious-looking portrait photo of ACD.


Publication details for the 1988 reprint.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The first year of the blog - reviewed

Well, it's been ONE YEAR since the first post on my Sherlockian blog ( 221bcooee.blogspot.com/2023/05/hello.html ). At the time I knew i...